Friday, December 13, 2013

Friggatriskaidekaphobia, the Fear of Friday the 13th

I've just finished watching 'The Silence of the Lambs' and think of posting a new entry on my blog. Friggatriskaidekaphobia, have you ever heard of this word?

image from joyhog.com
I've known the word since earlier this year from an article and I still haven't been able to pronounce it fluently!

It is a phobia related to the superstition that Friday is unlucky day and 13 is unlucky number. So when this two considered-unlucky-things become one, the day is then believed to have an inauspicious nature so that many bad luck will happen.

In many parts of the word, Friday the 13th has always come into consideration in planning some agenda. You will find not many people want to have their wedding held on this day. As stated in www. psychologicalscience.org, Indian producers hesitate to release their film on this day.  The other case comes from www.mirror.co.uk which says that thirds of Britons change plans due to the fear of this day. As people believe that the day is not a good day, they intend to do things more carefully than usual. For example, those who usually drive to work will switch to public transportation on this day or they simply stay at home doing nothing.

I think, this superstition works just like a placebo effect. It lies in perception and belief. If you think something bad will happen, it may really happen. But if you don't give an account of the day and date, things will just work on well.

By the way, I've just realized that today is Friday the 13th when I was riding motorbike on the way to school this morning. As for myself, I don't really care about number but I do believe Friday is a sacred and good day. I mean, I got into accident last Friday and I'm just fine now. What more do I need to be thankful for my life? Alhamdulillah.

It's up to you whether to believe it or not. I personally don't. Because my religion teaches us not to believe on such things.

13 comments:

  1. my home is number 13 and alhamdulillah thats not mean something bad :) my teacher says the 13th phobia is from a religion believing and that is not logical ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, Im a man with BadEnglish
    hehe :)

    But, Nice ,... salam kenal yaa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. salam kenal juga... thanks for coming :)

      Delete
  3. petang semalam akak dilanda lupa yang teruk.. nasib baik tiada perkara buruk yang terjadi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. baik dan buruk perkara yang menimpa kita telah ditentukan oleh Allah..

      Delete
    2. benar itu khaira.. semuanya ketentuan dari Allah juga.. :D

      Delete
  4. hanya takhayul. jgn terlalu di percaya..

    ReplyDelete
  5. angka 13 hanyalah mitos semata. Semua hari itu baik kakak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angka 13 menurut saya adalah angka yang membuat saya bahagia, kakak.... karena saya nikahan pas tanggal 13 tahun 2000 sekarang dah 13 tahun...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for calling at ^^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...